Friday, November 19, 2010

Chapter 15

Like any other claims and arguments, it is unavoidable to make mistakes when it comes to evaluating cause and effect. There are particularly two mistakes in evaluating cause and effect, according to Chapter 15 in Epstein.
I think the easiest way to explain how reversing cause and effect can be a mistake is by showing an example. Here it goes…
Duncan: Spending too much time on the computer is bad for you.
Martin: Why is that?
Duncan: Well, because most people tend to disregard personal communication or physical activities, and this can affect relationships in the long run.
Martin: Well, maybe people aren’t just going on the computer to go on Facebook or Twitter, but to actually do school work. You know how most school work now is all online.

Another problem that we encounter when evaluating cause and effect is when we look too hard for a cause. There are times when we don’t always have to be looking for the reason why things happened. Most of us have a tendency to think or even make up our own inferences why such things occur or as they call it in Epstein post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this).

2 comments:

  1. You are right, there are other things we should be careful of when assuming something has a cause and effect relationship. I actually like your example because I can relate to it. I will admit, I do stay around the computer for a long time. Sometimes, I do so not for homework but at some times, it is for homework. Some people get the wrong idea of me playing the computer all day and think that I don't care about relationships. Of course, that is not true, but I can see what Duncan in this conversation means. However, it is good you stated that there may be a different reason (that does not have to do with "disregarding personal communication").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jillybeanz08,
    This post is very thorough and definitely gave me a better idea of reversing cause and effect and the possible mistakes that can be made when using cause and effect. I read over this part of the text in Chapter 15 once and I needed to revisit it to fully understand it; this topic can be quite confusing. You're right, the best way to understand many of these concepts is to provide an example. The second point you brought up about looking too hard for a cause is also true; I feel that if there is no conclusion in sight, the reader often makes up their own conclusion in order to close the argument in their mind.

    ReplyDelete