Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Examples

1.       Reasoning by Analogy:
Premise 1: Kelly is a nursing major and goes to SJSU, needs to pass her WST to take upper GEs.
Premise 2: Ryan is an engineering major and goes to SJSU, needs to pass his WST to take upper GEs.
Premise 3: Brad is a business major and goes to SJSU, needs to pass his WST to take upper GEs.
Conclusion: Therefore if you attend SJSU, no matter what your major is, you have to take WST to take upper GEs.

2.       Sign of Reasoning:
Mom: Duncan, can you please clean your room?
Duncan: Not right now, mom. I’m too busy because of this research paper due tomorrow.
Mom: Well, find time to do it when you’re done.
Duncan: Will do!

3.       Casual Reasoning:
Amanda has been working as a volunteer at the children’s hospital, and she hasn’t been getting enough sleep. She probably caught the cold from one of the patients and lack of sleep making her more vulnerable to it.

4.       Reasoning by Criteria:
I guess Leah would want something useful if people are going to give her Christmas presents. Would this be useful to her?

5.       Reasoning by Example:
Collin: How did you improve your writing skills so quick?
Carrie: I just wrote a lot. Blogging helped me a lot to improve it and notice my mistakes I didn’t before.

6.       Inductive Reasoning:
I always grab breakfast at school with my sister every Tuesday ever since Fall 2010 semester started. Even if I don’t have school next Tuesday, my sister still expects me to grab breakfast with her since she’s gotten used to it. Therefore, Tuesdays is my sister and I’s usual hang out day.

7.       Deductive Reasoning:
Premise 1: Cats are felines.
Premise 2: Chocolate is a cat.
Conclusion: Chocolate is a feline.

3 comments:

  1. Jillybeanz08,

    I overall found your post to be very helpful. While reading about all of these concepts, none of them seemed very hard or confusing, but if they had been, your examples would have done a very good job at explaining them more clearly. Your examples are very straight forward and clear which is definitely a good thing. I really liked your examples for reasoning by example and deductive reasoning. It is clear after reading your examples that you understood all these concepts very well.

    I overall found your post to be very clear and helpful!
    Keep up the good work, (:

    Elsie-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post about the examples for chapter twelve. All the examples are very helpful to me when reading the various examples between sign reasoning, reason by analogy, inductive and inductive reasoning. Putting two premise and a conclusion gives more depth to the example to make it clearer to the reader. The example I liked and most helpful to me was Reasoning by example. This is because the example shows very helpful idea of an example type of reasoning in an argument. Your examples were also sweet and short for people to read. Great job on the assignment. Hope to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading your blog because your examples helped me to understand some of the types of reasoning I was having trouble understanding. I was really confused with reasoning by criteria but your example clarified things a little for me. One of your best examples was for casual reasoning. When I researched the topic I thought of it in a different way. You did a good job thinking of a example that is easy for others to understand as well. I think it would have been more helpful if you provided a brief explanation of what each type of reasoning was first just so people can better understand how you came up with that example.

    ReplyDelete