Sunday, December 5, 2010

What I Have Learned From This Class...

This Critical Decision Making class has helped me in many ways, not only to support my arguments and claims but also how to communicate well with other people as well as through groups. I have learned so many ways to exercise critical thinking for school and also for communicating with others- particularly, analyzing claims such as prescriptive, objective and subjective claims, the difference between vague sentences and ambiguous sentences and how to identify if a statement is one of those.
I also learned a lot of different fallacies that people use in their statements to lure the person on leaning towards their side when it comes to arguments. Since I already encountered fallacies in my English 1B class, I like how this class supplemented more fallacies that I did not learn. Some that I learned from this class are: begging the question, shifting the burden of proof, strawman, relevance, slanters, and ridicule- which are the Violating the Principle of Rational Discussion. I specifically liked the appeal to emotion chapter, because I have noticed how appeal to pity usually gets me every time that I see the commercials about animal violence or children from Africa on the television. Appeal to fear is also something that candidates use to earn more votes, that I did not even realize they are using until the book we use in class mentioned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment