Sunday, December 5, 2010

Most Interesting Concept

Like what I mentioned in my past blog, I have learned so much from this class. However, the one that stood out the most and I really enjoyed learning is about General Claims. I always notice people saying some or all, no or only, as well as vague generalities. Before this class I thought that mentioning those words was just fine when stating facts or doing a report in class, because it seems like everybody else says it. However, after this class I am very much more careful when it comes to using those words because it is misleading for people that you talk to. I remember one time when I told my friend and said “Some cars are harder to park in the SJSU parking lot.” By saying “some” I could have meant just a car or two or I could mean more than the half of the type of cars that park in the garage. By learning about being vague, I notice more how I use some words very lightly even if they can be misinterpreted by many.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you chose to bring up vague words in your blog post. I also think that vague words make it difficult to make a definite argument. Your example was on point to how the word some is misleading in more than one way. The ease of parking cars in SJSU parking lots does depend on the type of car one is driving. Vague terms in general claims may be small or insignificant but are part of the many arguments one can make in single day. I heard someone say this recently, “Some people eat at the Student Union but some don’t because of the price.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jillybeanz08,

    I too thought that this class was informative. Because we had to learn so many terms and concepts, I felt like this class taught me a lot as well. However, from this specific post of yours, I started thinking about how vague people really are around me, including myself. Sometimes, we tend to be very vague about the things we say, without really thinking about what we're REALLY saying to others. However, if we really analyzed it and thought each word through, we can see how ambiguous some of the things we say are After learning this term and discussing it, I really started to see the difference between things if we were to say something differently. Great job on your post!

    ReplyDelete