Thursday, September 9, 2010

Types of Leadership

I found “Types of Leadership” resourceful and interesting as a student, because we do a lot of group work in class. I think group works will be easier to accomplish if people could get their hands on the topic about leadership types. Not only would the leader be happy but also the members. The results of the group work would also be much better.

Let’s admit it, there are times when some group members don’t cooperate as much as you want them to, or sometimes some members tend to take over and want to do things their way. When these things occur either way it can turn the group work into a nightmare.

The least I liked was the Authoritarian leadership; because it means the leader does all the decisions without any comments or suggestions from the group members. The only advantage that a group can get is by having things decided easily or swiftly. However, there are also disadvantages like group members are not as contented or dedicated to their work. The other one that I’m not a big of a fan of was Consultative Leadership. I think it was unfair how members put in their ideas but the leader is still the one that has the say to what the group will do. In comparison to Authoritarian leadership, the advantage of Consultative Leadership is “more reasoned and educated outcome” (O’Hair, 34). Laissez-faire Leadership is also part of my no-no list, because it completely lacks group communication.

The most I’m in favor of is Participative Leadership, because the group members and the leader work together to complete a task, wherein the leader just monitors the group but is equal to the other members as well. This style of leadership creates the most success with the group work as well as contented and dedicated group members.

I think it’s important for groups to know how to communicate with one another to achieve their goal and still keep a good working relationship.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post regarding leadership because I can really relate myself. I personally have been in a lot of group projects, especially from my all guy high school. It was a competitive school academically, but sadly lazy and non-hard working students do exist there. Most of the my group projects have been me doing the bulk of the work, or almost all of the work. It is really a headache having to worry about if every member is contributing and participating well enough for the project to run smoothly, but often times, I had to face a rough group that always made me feel pressured in doing the bulk. If all students could take a leadership course or program, maybe they would understand what it is like to work in solo in a group. Personally would LOVE to have a group that would be willing to work with each other just as equally as the leader. Even if there was no leader, I believe all students in a group should work together to make all tasks work out well.

    ReplyDelete