Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The most useful thing I’ve learned from the assignments is group work, and not just any group work but actually working towards a goal just by communicating online. I’m proud to say that my group has accomplished in communicating even if we have no clue how the person we’re working with looks like. Besides group work, the most useful aspect of the assignment I’ve learned is using the arguing techniques to prove our points for our papers and even real-life arguments and claims.
My group is currently working on PETA, and I’m learning on how does emotional appeal affects people when it comes to those saddening advertisements they show on T.V., which makes you want to donate. Not only those, but by knowing how ads use emotional appeal to tempt viewers also helped me decide whether to believe if they’re telling the truth or not.
I think by taking this class and doing the assignments, I’ve developed a better understanding of how to properly support my arguments or stand towards something, by not falling into traps like fallacies or vagueness. This class has also been helpful with doing research papers, because usually those require a lot of citing and proving why your point should be taken into consideration.

2 comments:

  1. Jillybeanz08,

    I completely agree with what you wrote in your post. I feel that this class has also helped me understand how to develop my argument and how to make stronger statements. I like how you talked about the current assignment and what you're currently working on and how it has helped you decide whether to believe some adds. I agree with you overall that this class has been great in showing us how to communicate better and how to overall argue better and make stronger arguments. The assignments are indeed great ways to learn how to communicate effectively.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when advertisements may use emotional appeal. I guess in most cases, they do that for good causes (such as donating/sponsoring for a poor family/child). Honestly, advertisements like that do get my sympathy. But like you said, we should be aware if the company is trusting.Some people may use emotional appeal to get you to donate money to them with them also stating that the money will go to good causes. Of course, the advertisers will have to keep a portion for themselves and for funding the advertisement. Even though we think all of the money is going to funding good causes, we should be aware on how much is being funded on them and where the other portions of money are going to.

    ReplyDelete